My boyfriend makes lasagne in a very different way to me. I do minced beef in a tomato bolognaise sauce (which is usually full of vegetables such as onion, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peas and carrots, to bulk it out and make it healthier), with a white béchamel or cheese sauce. He does sausage meat and spinach in a crème fraiche sauce, with a tomato ragu sauce. Basically the same idea, but swapping the sauces around. Even so, I had never thought of doing it like that.
As I am trying to be healthy, I am cutting back on beef, and using turkey where I can. So instead of the sausage meat that this recipe normally calls for, I decided to use minced turkey.
This made about 5 servings, but it depends who is eating it.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 350g minced turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic (i use garlic from a squeezy tube, otherwise use about 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped)
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 bag spinach (you can use more if you want)
- 300ml crème fraiche
- 1/4 tsp garlic (this is optional, but I love my garlic!)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (you might need 2 cans depending on how big your lasagne dish is)
- 2 tbsp tomato purèe
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Lasagne sheets
- Grated cheese (I use mature cheddar cheese)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Soak the lasagne sheets in a big bowl of water.
3. Add 1 tbsp of oil to a frying pan, add the minced turkey and brown.
4. When the turkey is almost completely brown, add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
5. Add the mushrooms, then the spinach.
6. When the spinach has wilted down, add the crème fraiche and stir together.
7. In a separate pan, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil and the garlic.
8. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purèe, herbs and seasoning.
9. You now want to start layering it all up. The first layer is the turkey, then pasta sheets, then a thin layer of the tomato ragu. Repeat this order until you have 2 or 3 layers, obviously it depends on how thick your layers are and how big your dish is.
10. Top with grated cheese and put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.