One of my coursemates asked me to make something with an Alfredo sauce, as it is her favourite at Frankie & Benny’s. Co-Op have salmon on offer at the moment (£3.75 for 360g, rather than £7.50). One of my favourite restaurants, an Italian in Dubai, does pasta with salmon in an Alfredo sauce, so I am re-creating it.
You don’t have to have salmon, chicken, bacon and mushrooms would be really nice, but cook them first, then add them to the sauce.
- 400g pasta (75-100g per person)
- 175g salmon (2 fillets)
- 55g butter
- 250ml double cream (they come in 284ml cartons, I used the whole thing)
- 1 garlic clove (I used 1/2 tsp squeezy garlic)
1. Cook the pasta for 10-12 minutes in a large pan of boiling, salted water.
2. Put the salmon fillets in a glass dish, splash a little milk over them (like in the picture above), then cover the dish with cling film and put a few holes in it. Put it in the microwave for 2 minutes. Take them out of the oven, and cut into a fillet to check it is cooked in the middle, if not, cook for another minute or so. Discard the skin, then break up the salmon with a fork.
3. Melt the butter in a medium pan. When it is completely melted, add the garlic and the cream. Bring it to a boil and simmer it for a few minutes. Add the cheese, and the sauce with rapidly thicken. When the sauce has thickened, add the salmon.
4. Drain the pasta, put it back into the large saucepan and pour the sauce over and stir them together.5. When you serve it, top with some more grated Parmesan.