Thursday, March 22, 2012

Stuffed Peppers

I saw this recipe and suddenly got instant cravings! It is so easy to make! I only stuffed 2 peppers, instead of the recommended 6, so I have lots of rice mixture to eat on its own, or stuff peppers another day!
I saw this recipe on Gonna Want Seconds blog, and altered it slightly.


Serves 4

Recipe:
- 6 bell peppers (Doesn't matter what colour, but red is healthiest!)
- 1-2 tsp oil
- 1 finely chopped large onion
- 1 finely chopped bell pepper
- 500g minced beef/pork/turkey (I used turkey, but the recipe called for beef and pork)
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic (I use squeezy garlic)
- 2-3 tsp salt ( will also depend on how much the cooked rice was seasoned )
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tbsp pesto (I like sundried tomato pesto)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Water

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the seeds. 
3. In a large saucepan of boiling water, parboil the peppers for 2-3 minutes until they are tender. Remove them from the pan and drain them on kitchen paper.
4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, until soft.
5. Add the meat, garlic and seasoning. Cook until the meat is brown, stirring it to break up the lumps, for about 6 minutes. Add the rice and tomato puree and stir well. Remove from the heat.
6. Pour enough water into a baking dish to just cover the bottom, about 0.5cm deep. Stuff the peppers with the rice mixture and place in the baking dish. Bake until the peppers are very tender and the filling is heated through, for 25 to 30 minutes.

I had 2 for my lunch, and they were really filling!!

This is the rice mixture.

I decided to put them in the dish and then stuff them.

Zoe x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...